It can be a traumatic experience for both of you when your beloved dog or cat strays from home. Here are some tips that we hope will help you find your pet.
1. Search the neighborhood. Pets often hide when they are scared. Walk or drive through your neighborhood several times each day. Ask neighbors, letter carriers and delivery people if they have seen your pet. Hand out a recent photograph of your pet and information on how you can be reached if your pet is found.
You should also visit animal services to see if your pet has been found and isn’t yet updated on their website. If your animal is not at animal services, we suggest that you report them as missing so you can be contacted if they are found.
Manatee County Animal Services 941-742-5933
Sarasota County Animal Services 941-861-9500
3. Advertise. Post flyers at grocery stores, veterinary offices, traffic intersections, pet supply stores and other locations. Include your pet’s sex, age, weight, breed, color and any special markings as wells a way to contact you if found.
4. Try the Internet. Social media can be very helping in getting the word out quickly. Use Facebook to post on your own page as well as send messages to local shelters and rescue groups. Craigslist and Nextdoor.com can also be helpful.
5. Don’t give up your search. Check animal services daily. Animals who have been lost for months to years have been reunited with their owners.
A pet has a better chance of being returned if she always wears a collar and an ID tag with your name, address and telephone number. Microchipping is the best way for a pet to be reunited to it’s owner!
1.Check for a microchip. Some local veterinarian and animal shelters might be able to scan for a microchip. If the pet has a registered microchip, it should have the contact information of the owner.
2. Report the animal to Animal Services. Call Manatee County Animal Services at 941-742-5933 and Sarasota County Animal Services at 941-861-9500 to report details of the animal you have found. Even if you do not bring the pet to Animal Services, it is important to report the animal you have found. This gives all owners the best opportunity to find their pet.
3. Contact local shelters & rescue groups. Email or call with information about the pet such as where it was found, description and your contact info.
4. Advertise. Make a flyer to post around the location the pet was found. Post on Facebook, Craigslist & Nextdoor.com.