It can be a traumatic experience for both of you when your beloved dog or cat strays from home. Here are some tips that we hope will help you find your pet.
1. Search the neighborhood. Pets often hide when they are scared. Walk or drive through your neighborhood several times each day. Bring favorite treats and call for your
pet. Ask neighbors, letter carriers and delivery people if they have seen your pet. Hand out a recent photograph of your pet and information on how you can be reached if your pet is found.
2. Check the Manatee County Animal Services website.
You should also visit animal services to see if your pet has been found and isn't yet updated on their website. If your animal is not at animal services, we suggest that you report
them as missing so you can be contacted if they are found.
Manatee County Animal Services 941-742-5933
Sarasota County Animal Services 941-861-9500
3. Advertise. Post flyers at grocery stores, veterinary offices, traffic intersections, pet supply stores and other locations. Include your pet's sex, age, weight,
breed, color and any special markings as well as a way to contact you if found.
4. Try the Internet. Social media can be very helping in getting the word out quickly. Use Facebook to post on your own page as well as send messages to local
shelters and rescue groups. Craigslist and Nextdoor.com can also be helpful. You can also try www.lostfoundpets941.com-thier Facebook
group is now the largest, most active lost and found group in the Manatee - Sarasota County areas covering Sarasota, Bradenton, Palmetto, Parrish, Ellenton, Venice, Northport, Myakka and
areas beyond. Please also post on Petco Lost Love.
5. Don't give up your search. Check animal services daily. Animals who have been lost for months to years have been reunited with their owners.
A pet has a better chance of being returned if she always wears a collar and an ID tag with your name, address and telephone number. Microchipping is the best way for a pet to be
reunited to it's owner!