Shelter Attendant for the Humane Society at Lakewood Ranch
The Shelter Attendant provides direct care for the dogs and cats in the shelter, along with cleaning the shelter space and cat/dog environments. The care includes feeding and watering; providing medications; and walking, exercising, bathing, and basic training of the dogs. Being responsible for the daily care also includes monitoring the behavior and health of the dogs and cats and providing attention to them, so they stay healthy and happy. The Shelter Attendant interacts with volunteers who work the cat and dog shifts. A love of animals and the ability to anticipate their needs is necessary for this job. The Shelter Attendant works under the direct supervision of the Shelter Manager.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Complete the dog and cat shift requirements that include: feed and water according to directions, give medications as defined, and track results. Additionally, walk/exercise the dogs & pick up after them.
- Follow defined protocols for the cats and dogs in Isolation vs. the available animals.
- Assist with bathing the dogs.
- When working with the animals, follow cat/dog handling and training guidelines for safety and to help the animals become more adoptable.
- Report changes of the animals’ condition or behavior to the Shelter Manager.
- Clean and sanitize the dog kennels and runs, along with the rest of the dog shelter building, following defined cleaning protocols and schedule.
- Clean and sanitize the cat rooms and litter boxes, following defined cleaning protocols and schedule.
- Assist with general shelter maintenance and supply tracking.
- Clean and sanitize the food and water bowls.
- Clean and sanitize the kennels for transporting the cats and dogs.
- Ensure a safe work environment by following all safety guidelines and modeling safe work practices.
- Ensure a safe environment for the animals by following the procedures and processes.
- Follow Dog Training guidelines to safely handle the dogs, particularly with behavioral challenges.
- Follow the procedures in the handling and storage of chemicals and medications.
- Be prepared to handle animals that may be stressed due to their being in an unfamiliar environment. Shelter workers should always use caution when administering medication, feeding, and exposure to animals, to minimize the chance of an injury.
- Ability to perform work in a kennel/shelter setting with cats and dogs of all sizes and weights.
- Work includes frequent bending, reaching, kneeling, climbing stairs, walking and standing on feet several hours per day, while performing the job functions.
- Ability to handle exposure to disinfectant solutions when cleaning.
- Occasional lifting of up to 50 lbs. with reasonable accommodations.
- High School diploma or equivalent required
- 1-2 years of experience working with dogs.
- Knowledge of basic animal behavior.
- Clean Driver’s License
- Must be able to pass pre-employment drug testing and background checks
- Ability to work weekends, holidays, and overtime, as needed
- Commitment to the mission, values, goals, and success of the HSLWR, with a true passion for saving dogs.
- Highly motivated, positive, out-going, polite and professional demeanor
- Team player – Able to work well with other people.
Reports to: Shelter Manager
Job Type: Part-Time – 20 hours per week
Salary: $11.00 per Hour
TO APPLY, PLEASE EMAIL RESUME TO DANI ZIEGLER, SHELTER MANAGER (firstname.lastname@example.org)