Volunteer Coordinator for the Humane Society at Lakewood Ranch
The HSLWR has an immediate opening for an outgoing Volunteer Coordinator (VC). We are a non-profit, no-kill, animal rescue/shelter that provides assistance and care for dogs and cats, until forever homes can be found. This is a part-time position to recruit, coordinate, train, and motivate volunteers to assist in meeting our mission of saving more dogs and cats. Without the involvement and value of volunteers, we cannot achieve our goals. The ability to effectively interface with and inspire volunteers is necessary for this job, along with strong organizational skills and having a love of animals. If you have the skills, experience and passion, we would love to have you join our wonderful team!
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
- Responsible for all Volunteer Management and Coordination including but not limited to: recruiting new volunteers, reviewing all new applications, scheduling orientation and training, and setting them up in the Volunteer Sign-up system and scheduled for shift(s). Must be comfortable with communication, both written and verbal – including giving presentations.
- Responsible for ensuring all Dog and Cat shifts are covered or filling the shift themselves, if needed. Must be comfortable handling large dogs and dogs with behavioral issues.
- Effectively interface with and inspire volunteers. Make them feel heard and that you are there to support them. Volunteer retention is very important for our growth. This should be fun and rewarding for the volunteers.
- Assist with scheduling Volunteer Resources for events.
- Managing and updating the Volunteer Facebook Page and volunteer documents.
- High School diploma or greater required
- 2+ years of experience working either in a Shelter or managing Volunteers
- Experience working with dogs in a professional setting
- Knowledge of basic animal behavior
- Strong communication skills (verbal and written), organization skills and competent computer skills. Comfortable to give presentations and training.
- Able to effectively interface with and motivate a variety of people with different skills, ages and backgrounds.
- Ability to work weekends, holidays, and overtime, as needed
- Commitment to the mission, values, goals, and success of the HSLWR, with a true passion for saving dogs and cats
- Highly motivated, positive, out-going, polite and professional demeanor
- Team player – Able to work well with other people
- Physical Requirements: Ability to perform work in a shelter setting, with cats and dogs of all sizes and weights; work includes frequent bending, reaching, kneeling, climbing stairs, walking and standing on feet several hours per day; ability to handle exposure to disinfectant cleaning solutions; and occasional lifting of up to 50 lbs. with reasonable accommodations.
- Clean Driver’s License and must be able to pass pre-employment drug testing and background checks
This is a part-time (30 hours a week) position. Benefits include 4 days of Personal Time-Off, the possibility of eventually becoming full-time, and the emotional rewards of working with and managing a team of Volunteers, whose goal is to enrich the lives of our shelter animals while they are here.
TO APPLY, PLEASE EMAIL RESUME TO DANI ZIEGLER, SHELTER MANAGER (email@example.com)